Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The True Meaning of Christmas, Pt. 3

Remembering the Truth

I am not going to bore you with heavy liturgical processes, mindful theology, or even Biblical banter. Rather, I will make an appeal to emotion. There are plenty of sites, books, causes, Facebook applications and et cetera which focus on the importance of Christmas, the wrongfulness of Christmas, the meaning of Christmas, the legends behind Christmas and so on. I'm not going to add to this discourse.

I honestly don't know what else to say, but I feel that now I have debunked certain myths, rituals, and traditions and I have sarcastically explained the American standard of celebrating Christmas, I must offer an alternative. Jesus. This is the alternative. Christmas has gone from a simple celebration in order to remember Christ and what He has done for us, to a free-for-all brawl in store aisles leaving bruised faces and egos.

It's so simple, but people make such a big deal out of it. STOP buying useless crap for people who aren't going to love you or hate you any more than they did pre-gifting, STOP creating images of Santa kneeling before the baby Jesus and offering Him gifts, and STOP thinking the more lights you have in and on your house the holier you are. If it is at all possible it would be amazing to make Christmas a secular holiday (since it technically is as of now) like Thanksgiving, completely removing Jesus from this time and celebrating His birth sometime else and making it a purely Christian holiday, like Easter (which is becoming bastardized by American Consumerism as well). I like Christmas, I like the air surrounding it, but I hate what people have made it.

Jesus was born so that we shall live, and because of His birth people like the employee in Wal-Mart die. This doesn't sound Biblical to me. If this is beginning to sound like a rant, it is because it is. There is no other way to deliver the fact that the Christmas holiday sucks but the reasons behind it are amazing. Celebrating Christmas without celebrating Jesus is like eating food that is tasteless and leaves you hungry.

Don't be the lizard, and Happy Holidays.

No comments: