Monday, December 1, 2008

Trampled Under Foot

Unlike Led Zeppelin, I ain't talkin' bout love, so you probably know what this is about before I even begin; the events that transpired on the so aptly named Black Friday. Who would have thunk it? Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, they trample into mine. And a man dies.

This is not a matter to take lightly, but The Incredible Hulk was on sale for $9! I mean, seriously people, a Wal-Mart in New York? I thought people had better things to do, like avoiding getting shot. I'm sure a lot of people have a lot to say about a lot of things regarding this situation; Wal-Mart's lack of precaution, any racial slurs about the people involved, the stupidity of the masses, the utter degenerate class who did this, the society as a whole, the great sales at other stores who didn't cause anyone to die. This single and solitary act speaks volumes about our state of consumerism. However, this isn't the first time something like this has happened.

As I write this, Wal-Mart's website is (conveniently) out of service. But now it's back. On the front page, all the way at the bottom, there is a constantly rising number indicating "the amount of money Wal-Mart has saved American families since January 1, 2008". I will tell you one thing which will end this topic and give a summation of my rant: that number would be billions of dollars higher if people didn't shop there at all. Point.

We don't need more stuff to be happy, we need to be okay with what we got. That internal void you think a new toaster will fill, try the love of God first. Don't be the lizard.

No comments: